Bake up some love this Valentine’s Day!
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it’s the season of love and compassion! What better way to express that love and appreciation for your family and loved ones than with some fresh baked cookies!
Baking can be a great way to bring the family together, especially if you get the kids involved! They’ll love watching and helping you mix the dough, and decorate the cookies when they’re done. Showing them that expressing themselves through doing something homemade and special for someone you care about is always a great lesson. While the cookies are baking and cooling, grab a tub of dough and let them pretend to bake more cookies to keep them occupied while they wait for their sweet treats to be ready!
These heart shaped cookies are very cute and help stir positive emotions with both the baker, and the cookie receiver! Use our classic cookie Dough Parlour Sugar Cookie Recipe and decorate the cookies in whatever colour icing you like, adding sprinkles for some extra sparkle!
What shapes will you bake with your family this Valentine’s Day?
The Dough Parlour’s Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookie Recipe
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (or use salted butter and only 1/2 tsp added salt)
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 1 egg
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 teaspoon salt (or 1/2 tsp if using salted butter)
1. Combine butter and sugar in the bowl and beat until creamy.
2. Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet until well combined.
5. Divide dough into two disks, cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
TIP: To make cutting easier, pre-roll your dough before putting it into the fridge, just make sure you cover it well so it doesn’t dry out, and use parchment or a silicone baking mat to keep the two layers separate.
6. Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
7. Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out one cookie dough to about 1/4″ thick. Add flour as needed.
8. Use our cutters to cut out shapes and transfer shapes to the baking sheet.
9. Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until edges begin to golden.
10. Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before frosting with your favourite frosting recipe!